Richard Parncutt is a systematic musicologist, music psychologist, and psychoacoustician. He is Professor of Systematic Musicology, University of Graz, Austria (since 1998) and director of the Centre for Systematic Musicology, University of Graz (since 2009). He was president of the European Society for the Cognitive Sciences of Music (ESCOM) (2015-2018) and chair of the 15th International Conference on Music Perception and Cognition (ICMPC) combined with the 10th triennial conference of ESCOM (Graz, Montreal, La Plata, Sydney, 23-28 July 2018).
His qualifications include Bachelor of Science (physics) and Bachelor of Music (performance), University of Melbourne; Bachelor of Science with Honours (physics) and Doctor of Philosophy, University of New England; and habilitation in systematic musicology (Graz, 1998) and music psychology (Klagenfurt, 2021).
Most cited contributions
Parncutt, R. (1989). Harmony: A psychoacoustical approach. Berlin: Springer-Verlag.
Parncutt, R. (1994). A perceptual model of pulse salience and metrical accent in musical rhythms. Music Perception, 11, 409-464.
Parncutt, R., & McPherson, G. E. (Eds., 2002). The science and psychology of music performance: Creative strategies for teaching and learning. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Music psychology, music theory, music acoustics, psychoacoustics, sound and music computing, music information retrieval, music sociology, music philosophy, music history, ethnomusicology, music education
Journals with full-length first-authored articles
- Music Perception (7), Musicae Scientiae (5), Journal of New Music Research (4), Frontiers (2), Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene (2), Journal of Interdisciplinary Music Studies (2), Australian Journal of Psychology, Behavioral Sciences, Contemporary Music Review, Jahrbuch Musikpsychologie, Music Performance Research, Perception & Psychophysics, Perspectives of New Music, Rivista di Analisi e Teoria Musicale, Scottish Music Review
Journal board membership (past or present)
- Jahrbuch Musikpsychologie, Journal of Interdisciplinary Music Studies, Journal of New Music Research, Music Perception, Music Performance Research, Musica Humana, Musicae Scientiae, Music Theory Online, Musicology Australia, Psychology of Music, Rast Musicology Journal, Research Studies in Music Education, Royal Musical Association Research Chronicle, Systematische Musikwissenschaft
Anonymous peer review of journal submissions
- Psychology: Acta Psychologica, Attention Perception & Psychophysics, Auditory Perception and Cognition, Behavioral and Brain Sciences, Behavioral Sciences, British Journal of Psychology, Cognitive Science, Connection Science, Cortex, Emotion, Frontiers in Neuroscience, Frontiers in Psychology, i-Perception, International Journal of Psychophysiology, Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, Personality and Individual Differences, Neuroscience, Neuroscience Insights, Psychonomic Bulletin & Review, Psychophysiology, Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, Perception & Psychophysics, Personality and Individual Differences, Psychological Research, Psychological Review, Psychonomic Bulletin & Review, Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology
- Systematic Musicology: Empirical Musicology Review, Journal of New Music Research, Music Perception, Music Performance Research, Musicae Scientiae, Music and Science, Journal of Mathematics and Music, Psychology of Music, Psychomusicology
- Music: Contemporary Music Review, Journal of the Royal Music Association, Revue Musicale OICRM, Research Studies in Music Education, Scottish Music Review
- Sciences: Information Sciences, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews, Nature Scientific Reports, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Royal Society Open Science
- Medicine: Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology, Logopedics Phoniatrics Vocology
- Acoustics: Acta Acustica, Applied Acoustics, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America
- Social sciences and humanities: Sage Open
Co-creation of conferences and a journal
- Journal of Interdisciplinary Music Studies (JIMS, since 2007)
- Conference on Interdisciplinary Musicology (CIM series, since 2004)
- Conference on Applied Interculturality Research (cAIR, 2010, 2012)
- International Conference of Students of Systematic Musicology (SysMus series, since 2008)
- Global Arts and Psychology Seminar (GAPS 2017, semi-virtual, multi-hub)
- Lecturer in Music Psychology and Psychoacoustics, Department of Psychology, Keele University (1996-1998)
- Postdoc researcher with John Sloboda (Keele, England, 1994-1996)
- Postdoc researcher with Albert Bregman (Montreal, 1992-93)
- Postdoc researcher with Annabel Cohen (Halifax, Canada, 1991-92)
- Postdoc researcher with Johan Sundberg (Stockholm, 1989-1990)
- Predoc researcher with Ernst Terhardt (Munich, 1982-1983)
Richard ParncuttCentre for Systematic Musicology
8010 Graz, Austria